Skip to main content

10 Questions with TenderHeart: The Art of Raw

The Namibia Arts Fair will be hosting a lyrical panel discussion called the Art of RAW: Rap, Art and Word Weaving. The discussion will feature 4 Namibian Hiphop artists, speaking on word-weaving and the art of rap. One of our featured hip-hop artists is Namibian MC, TenderHeart.
Tender Heart - Featured Artist at The Art of RAW
His name is a literal expression of his character but many would agree that he is everything but tender when it comes to his lyricism and delivery. He goes hard. He has struck a fine balance between being a beast that lyrically paints in artistic brushstrokes as he keeps his artistic side authentic through his choice of content and character.

1. What is your background?
I was born in North of Namibia in a place called Imanya. Raised by both my parents in the capital city, Windhoek. With my younger siblings two brothers and sister. I Attend High school at Khomas high and that is where I started writing my own lyrics. I believe in the 8th grade. I then had my first recording sessions at redeem records studio and shortly after starting performing at different shows.


2. What does your work try to say?
Well I love to think that my music reflects positivity. So far with the songs I written, I believe that they all share a common sense of hope and inspiration. Especially with the songs I have for my up coming project titled, "The struggle of a broke opportunist". Hopefully it will inspire people to strive for greatness, regardless of the circumstances they are in. 3. How does your work comment on current social or political issues?
The idea of writing music for other people to relate to has always been a part of me. I have songs where I speak about a failed relationship and how the situation put me in an unbalanced emotional state. I have another song where I spoke partly of racial discrimination and more of tribalism. How it has affected my people. I have personal piece where I spoke of drug pressure sharing my little experience with a friend of mine. I also touched on deadbeat dads and this was inspired after I learnt that my father wasn't there for his children he had before he met my mother. Snap I have songs where I share the common social struggle that kids from society can relate to. 4. Who are your biggest influences?
I am influenced by a lot of people I believe but I will mention names like Kendrick lamar, Mark Mushiva and maybe Pharoahe Monch, simply because other people have compared my artistry to them. I am also a J Cole, Andre 3000, Jackie Hill Perry and Propaganda fan. 5. If you were a color, which one would you be an why?
I would be green. Green Is the colour of life. Seeing that evergreen areas in the world are beautiful and full of life. Plus people think of money as green paper "or a few people u do" I would really want to be affluent on day. Not for my sake only but to help others as well. 6. How do you seek out opportunities?
How I seek out for opportunity is through meet new people. when I am out at an event or social gathering. By engaging with them I share my views on music and art and if they seem interested in what I have to share, I give them my link to SoundCloud... Or Facebook page. 7. How do you find people to purchase your art?
Currently, I haven't sold any of my music just yet. In 2016 I dropped my first mix tape. However, I realized that most people hear my music and the different shows I perform at. Be it at the warehouse theater, Nbc studio 7, ect. My first album which is coming out soon, late this year, will be sold on iTunes, Spotify and discs... 8. What are the best and worst things about being an artist?
For me the best thing about being an artist is being able to be in a creative state. As a rapper, I always want to come up with the best rhyme schemes, wordplay and punchlines Mostly to intimidate other rappers (because rap is a competitive sport) but also to out write myself so that I grow as a lyricist. The worst thing about being an artist is when your not being compensated for what you do. It takes an artist's time and money to create whatever he/she comes up with and when other people don't see the value in your work of art, it's disrespectful to me or at least that's how I feel. 9. What projects are you currently working on?
Currently I am busy recording the up coming project I mentioned, "The struggle of a broke opportunist". It is a project that reflects on the different struggles I have been going through and how I am optimistic about the future. I am also working on collective project with to other great artists, Franklin and Penda. We formed a group called RAP (Rhythm And Poetry) and it's a project that will most likely share thought provoking views to be delivered through poetry/rap. 10. Which current art world trends are you following?
I honestly don't think that I am following any trends. I try my best to avoid following trends so I stay relevant to the type of art I create and that I may grow as an artist.

The Art of RAW will form a part of the Namibia Arts Fair. Tickets are N$30 and available now at the EventsToday Website, PayToday app, and Airtime City Kiosks. Ticket includes an all day pass to the Namibia Arts Fair including art exhibitions, food market, live performances and more!



Comments